Wednesday 14 July 2010

The Alexander Cipher (Will Adams, 2007)


I must confess, I didn’t finish this book. I guess I have issues with the whole adventure genre as a whole as I loathe the works of Clive Cussler and, despite being enjoyable, I still have issues with the works of Dan Brown. The Alexander Cipher is attempting to jump onto that bandwagon by utilising historical fact (in this case, the story of Alexander the Great) and spin an adventurous yarn from it.

The only problem is it aint worth shit.

I got about half way through, which is good considering how bored I was. It is clear that the author’s interests rest solely in the history of Alexander the Great and whilst that in itself isn’t a problem, it becomes one when that’s all the book is. For and adventure novel, there’s not a lot in the ways of actual adventuring and when there is something that could be construed as an action beat, it takes up all of two sentences. At least Dan Brown, a man whose writing prose is limited at best, knows for the most part how to keep the reader engaged, balancing the action and the exposition enough to make it an exciting read (apart from The Lost Symbol, which was frightfully dull). Will Adams, a first time writer, just seems interested with people talking at length about history. You know, for an adventure story, that’s a bit boring.

I genuinely feel bad if I put a book down half way through but I’d run out of patients with this one. Kinda put me off reading for the time being too.

2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment