Sunday 21 November 2010

The God Delusion (Richard Dawkins, 2006)


Allow me to start by saying I am in no way religious. As infantile as it sounds, I just find it difficult to believe that there is one all-powerful God watching over everything. The fact that there are multiple religions also adds credence to the fact that it’s somewhat flawed. But that’s not to say that I don’t like religion as a concept. In the way that it brings people together and gives comfort to some, it really isn’t anything bad at all (expect for those who kill in the name of religion. Those people can fuck off). Call me agnostic if you will.

My problem with The God Delusion is that it attacks literally everyone that isn’t an atheist. Now, correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t that the same kind of speak that was responsible to the Crusades, 9/11 and the forming of the Woodsboro Baptist Church? Whilst Dawkins spews what is effectively a patronising lecture that everyone but he is wrong, there’s the fundamental problem in that neither he, nor any Church, can honestly know without a doubt that what they say is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. It also completely ignores the reason for faith as it stands: that it’s FAITH. Is there anything wrong with those using religion as a comfort or as a way to better themselves? Apparently so, according to this pompous self-preaching academic.

The only thing that separates The God Delusion from the tripe that, say, Jehovah’s Witnesses pass through your door, is that it preaches a different type of alleged “fact”. But, in the bigger picture, it is no better than Protestants and Catholics screaming “my religion’s better than yours” at each other.

This book is further proof as to why I cop out and sit on the fence. A great example of someone saying: “I value your opinion, but you’re wrong.”

1/5

No comments:

Post a Comment