Sunday 12 September 2010

Dark Winter (Andy McNab, 2003)


Again, another book I’ve put down half way through but the way I see it, unless I was at the cinema I’d generally turn off a bad movie if I wasn’t enjoying it so I’m starting to feel less guilty about not sticking with a book till the end.

Along with Chris Ryan (who was also there during the Bravo Two Zero mission), McNab has now made a lucrative career of being a thriller writer. Only problem with that (and with Ryan also) is that his works are generally not very thrilling. However, having been a few years since my last foray into the world of McNab, I thought I’d give him another go. Waste of time and effort.

Dark Winter is just extremely formulaic and not very interesting. McNab far from being a bad writer, but he’s just not able to make any of his books exciting, a major handicap for someone who makes a living from the thriller genre. But for £2, I can hardly complain about too much wasted money.

And the endless pages about weapons. Never has an author made guns so boring.

2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment