Thursday 16 September 2010

Jurassic Park (Michael Crichton, 1990)


I really enjoy it when you go back to the source material of a film you love and find that the book is majorly different. As a book, Jurassic Park is more violent, features more characters and dinosaurs and has a hell of a lot more happen. But one thing it has in common with its screen counterpart is that it is also unbearably tense at times. Shame it loses it's way in the final fifty pages.

On the back of this though, I think I can confidently say that I'm a fan of Crichton. Whilst there are some of his works that I have no interest in reading (Next, Pirates Latitudes, Eaters of the Dead), for the most part his flawed prose can be overlooked to allow the reader to go with the thrill ride he's presented. I enjoyed both Jurassic Park and Airframe equally and I am now awaiting his eco-terror novel, State of Fear, with eager anticipation.

As with Airframe, I can't help but crave thrillers like this from time to time.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment